Wednesday

lesson 32: cowboy boots on the ceiling

"I had this neighbor who used to work a night shift at a local bar."

"That's the story?"

She sighs, and raises an eyebrow. "Nooo. The thing is, he got home about 2 a.m. He lived right above me, and he used to pace when he got home. Right above my f*cking bedroom. It used to drive me crazy."

"No kidding. I'm getting that vibe from you."

"Weeks went by and I started waking up automatically around the time that he'd get home. And then I'd lie there, staring at the ceiling as he paced. In his cowboy boots. On hardwood floors."

"Well you could have asked him..."

"After weeks of brooding and getting all worked up but feeling guilty about it, I finally got so pissed off that I went upstairs at like 3 in the morning and banged on his door. I was furious. The door opened and he stood there, shaking, tears coming down his face."

"Oh."

"I stood there staring at him, trying to figure out what to do. So I just asked, 'Can you take off your boots when you get home?' And he just looked at me, and said, 'OK.' Confused by this woman with crazy bed hair (I think it was orange at the time) wearing a coat over her pajamas banging on his door at 3 in the morning, in the middle of his grief."

"You must have felt like a total sh..."

"I did. He was just sad. It wasn't about me."

"I thought you learned this one before?"

"Me too."'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home