Wednesday

lesson 36: you can never go home again

"I think you covered this topic in a previous blog."

"Yeah well. I'm tired. And grumpy. And I don't feel very good." She pouts and nestles into her blanket so that only the tip of her nose is poking out of the front.

"Boohoowoohoohoo."

"Thanks for the sympathy. I don't know if I learned anything from 36 to 40." She pulls the duvet even higher so only a few strands of hair are showing out of the top.

"Of course you did! You learned... you learned all about... how you can never go home again."

"That's what I said, you said it's covered." She moans and rolls over, pulling her pillow over her head.

"No no, it's ok."

"You're just trying to prevent your inevitable termination."

"Nooo... nononono... Go ahead. I'm listening."

"Here's the thing. You quickly find out that, well, stuff at home changes after you leave."

"And this surprised you?"

"I don't think that I really thought about it. I think I somehow pictured everything at home in stasis, while I went on with my own life. I kinda half thought everyone would stay the same... That the place would be the same. But of course this isn't the case. Everyone's lives move on. And your role in them changes."

"And how does this make you feel?"

"You aren't my therapist. I can't believe you asked that. It sucks. But it's ok. So there."

"You are grumpy."

"Hmph."

"If you ever feel like opening up about this..."

"Huh," she rolls over and turns off the light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home