Wednesday

lesson 37: old men that look like my dad make me all emotional

"Touching. But I don't really know if that's a lesson."

"I'll work on it."

"OK then. Tell."

"When I see older men that resemble my dad, especially if they are alone, I want to weep. I want to hold their hand and talk to them."

"Sweet... but..."

"I think, but don't know, that there is a deep sadness in my dad. A loneliness. And it cuts me to the core. I project all of this emotion and interpretation on these unwitting old men who I give a watery smile to."

"Do you even know if your dad is lonely?"

"Not really. I just feel it sometimes. When we talk on the phone... I once gave a waiter a huge tip because he reminded me of a younger version of my dad."

"But..."

"I think its also my sadness... about age. His. I want to make him immortal or at the very least, make sure he stays around as long as I do. It's selfish I know."

"I just think you love him."

"I do. And I haven't accosted any old men yet, forcing my unwanted pity or hand holding on them."

"That's good. Maybe that's your lesson."

"Don't accost old men?"

"Hey, you're the one who came up with 'don't sit on balloons'. And it's senior men, not old. You should know better. Maybe you just need to smile at senior men."

"That sounds weird."

"It's senior men and senior ladies. There, that's your lesson. Sheesh."

i miss you dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home